Our SHSAT Group Class Online covers both the English Language Arts and Mathematics Sections. The class is capped at 8 students, and runs for 12 hours total, covering the core concepts of the SHSAT, types of questions, and strategies for answering them. The class uses official practice tests from the SHSAT Student Handbook, as well as individual problems from Tutorverse, Barron’s, and other test prep books.
Why Take the SHSAT Group Class?
- Taking a group class provides a systematic approach to understanding the SHSAT. Our classes cover both sections of the test, English Language Arts and Mathematics, highlighting the types of questions the SAT asks and the best strategies to answer them. Using the Student Handbook’s practice tests, the classes build progressively from easier to more difficult material. Our classes cover all aspects of the test.
- Our 12-hour group class covers everything on the SHSAT. However, it is not purely a lecture. The classes introduce each concept on the test, explain it, and then show how to solve problems based on that concept.
- Our classes give each student individual attention. We cap our classes at 8 students to enable the instructor to motivate and direct each student individually. In addition, score reports on the 2 diagnostic tests provide feedback on each student’s progress.
- Our tutors know the SHSAT inside and out. Our small group classes are modeled on a successful series of programs that Better Edge Tutoring has conducted for academic nonprofits in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Dr. Kevin Cooney, who teaches the online classes, has more than 12 years of experience as a teacher and has tutored the SHSAT since 2013.
- Group classes create a starting point for advanced individual tutoring. After the class, students will know the SHSAT test’s format and types of questions as well as different strategies for answering them. Students will also know which questions they struggle with and how to practice. They will have taken 2 practice tests, received score reports (showing their strengths and weaknesses). After the class, if a student chooses to work with a tutor individually, that tutor will be able to zero in on exactly what the student needs to raise his or her score.
- Group classes prepare students for the SHSAT in a very short time frame. With 3 hours per week, courses run for 4 weeks.
- Small group classes are a fraction of the cost of individual tutoring. For about the price of some NY tutors’ hourly rate, you are receiving 12 hours of expert guidance in real time, and you learn everything you need to know for the SHSAT.
How Do Online Group Classes Work?
- Classes meet online through Zoom Video Conferencing. We will email a link that takes you directly to our online meeting room.
- Never miss a class. During each SHSAT group class the instructor will be video recorded, and those recordings of each session will be made available to students to review. So you never have to worry about missing a session.
- SHSAT diagnostic tests will be assigned. Students will take 2 SHSAT tests outside of class time. After submitting the answers to the instructor, they will receive 2 score reports.
- Score reports break down each student’s answers by category and provide recommendations for further study.